POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Grass macro : Re: Grass macro Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grass macro
From: Simon
Date: 14 Feb 2007 16:44:53
Message: <45d382d5$1@news.povray.org>
Ben Chambers wrote:
> Here are some shots of my grass macro working, see my posts in general
> and scene-files.
>
> I'm trying to make this thing run faster, as it needs to cover several
> square miles for a scene I'm working on.

This will sure take some time and memory to process!  How many
super-computers do have available for this scene? ;)

An other alternative, if I may suggest, is to put your 3D grass at the
front, but farther, it's no longer necessary (specially if you decide to
use focal-blur), so in the far you can use a simple texture of your grass.

I also remember, several years ago, a macro of function or something had
been made to render the most realistic grass I had ever seen on povray,
and it was very much optimised as it was (i think) one of the fastest
methods...  lemme search...

Simon