POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Indoor lighting - radiosity : Re: Indoor lighting - radiosity Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:15:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Indoor lighting - radiosity
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 9 Feb 2007 13:25:05
Message: <45ccbc81$1@news.povray.org>
JSR wrote:
> Hi all,
> These are my last renders using megapov and radiosity, final touches with
> photoshop. Includes:
>
> - lights: point lights with soft shadows (area_light)
>           high intensity, fade_power 2,low fade_distance
>           key lights: bluish white    fill lights: yellowish white
> - radiosity: count 500, error_bound 0.1, gray_threshold 0.0, rest default
> - floor: bump_map bump_size 5, specular and little reflection
> - globals: assumed_gamma 2.2, exposure 1.6, max_trace_level 10
>
> Any comments? :)
>
> Joel.

Looks good, Joel. Nice results from such settings; I will have to try
them out.

But (yes, there's a but), the effect isn't photo-realistic. It's almost
there but falls short, and I believe it is due to the textures' lack of
imperfection. All flat surfaces have minute variations in pigmentation
and topography. Corners have dirt and edges have slight wearing (even if
new). Cabinets and other furniture are not built perfectly. We usually
don't notice such things because they are so commonplace to us, yet when
we see "perfect" homes in real life, all these thing are there to a degree.

Just some critiques, and I hope you don't mind them. I think your
radiosity settings are great, and your modeling is also top-notch.

Happy POVving!

~Sam