POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Io : Re: Io Server Time
3 Aug 2024 06:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Io
From: Simon
Date: 2 Feb 2007 13:53:42
Message: <45c388b6$1@news.povray.org>
> Well, his perception at first was that the Monolith itself was full of
> stars, but then he entered it.  You're right about his transcendence,
> though; pay attention to the whole movie.  There's a reason they start
> and end the way they do.

Yea, 2001 is filled with symbolism!

> "If God did not exist, it would be necessary for man to create him"
> --Friedrich Nietzche (sp==good!).  2001 is all about the ascension of Man to
> Godhood through knowledge and science.  Whether or not you believe that
> to be true, it's very artistic.  2010 lost all the meaning, and went
> with the sci-fi thriller in space theme.

Well...  you've read the book as it seems and I haven't... just from the
movie, my idea was not about the responsible becoming of mankind into a
higher existance (which is my Nietzschian way of calling Godhood)...
but rather simply about evolution.  That the evolution is a phenomenon
abstract from us, this is why the "alien" monolith arrives.  In some
way, the monolith came down on earth to "teach" the monkeys how to
become more brutal and human! lol  But then it arrived again to teach
something else...

Think of it, which is the first to come, the monolith? or the desire to
study, understand and possibly dominate the monolith from mankind? (by
domination I mean, can we make a weapon or a commodity out it, etc)  And
an any rate, the monolith is not man-made.  To me it symbolises
evolution, evolution is a concept beyond our imagination and we just
started several years ago to understand some of it (with Darwin and many
others).

Explosive thread about 2001!  I guess it must be because of the monolith
we all saw on the first post from Bill!

Simon