POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Io : Re: Io Server Time
3 Aug 2024 06:16:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Io
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 30 Jan 2007 22:56:08
Message: <45c01358$1@news.povray.org>
Ben Chambers wrote:
[...]
> They were all written by Arthur C. Clarke.  The first book was based on
> the movie, but the second movie was based on the second book.  There's
> also 2051 (not too bad, imo) and 3001 (reads like a 3rd grade
> afterthought... the only book of his that I started and couldn't finish,
> it was so awful).

I have similar feelings about his Rama series.  Here are my opinions:

Book 1:  Rendezvous with Rama
Excelent.  Typical classic Clarke.  Matches my taste in science fiction
perfectly.

Book 2:  Rama II
Now a colaboration -- Arthur C. Clarke and Gentry Lee.  Typical for a
sequel, fairly enjoyable but not nearly as entertaining as the original.
I would describe the authorship more as by Gentry Lee with some help
from Arthur C. Clarke.  Definitely not a Clarke-style of writing.

Book 3:  Gardens of Rama
I would describe the authorship of this one as by Gentry Lee, vaguely
based on ideas of Arthur C. Clarke.  Terrible.  I did work all the way
through it (and it _was_ work!) because I mistakenly believed that this
was the final book and I was still curious to find out the what/who/why
of the Ramans.  The main word I would use to describe this one is
BORING!  Much too long (too many characters, too many subplots with none
of them interesting) and it had no ending -- it simply abruptly stopped.

Book 4:  Rama Revealed
No comment.  I didn't read it and after forcing my way through the
"Gardens" I never will.

      -=- Larry -=-