POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Io : Re: Io Server Time
3 Aug 2024 06:15:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Io
From: Ben Chambers
Date: 30 Jan 2007 15:08:02
Message: <45bfa5a2$1@news.povray.org>
Simon wrote:
>>> It's not, in 2010 they analyse it and they find it absorbs light
>>> perfectly or something like that.
>>
>> Ah. Only read 2001.
>
> Never read any, and I wonder if they were written by the same author (or
> even if the books are based on the movies or movies based on the books...)

They were all written by Arthur C. Clarke.  The first book was based on
the movie, but the second movie was based on the second book.  There's
also 2051 (not too bad, imo) and 3001 (reads like a 3rd grade
afterthought... the only book of his that I started and couldn't finish,
it was so awful).

> In any case, for anybody that liked 2001, I recommend 2010, it is a
> totally different type of movie;

2010 is for people who didn't get 2001.  It's still a good movie, but
*completely* different from the first.

>>> Remember: "Oh my God!...  It's full of stars!"
>>
>> I know. That's what I was refering to.
>
> Lol, it impressed me so much, this single sentence, that I think I
> almost tattooed it on myself! ;)
>
> But you mean...  do you think Dave says that when he looks deep into the
> monolith?  I thought when he reached the monolith, his existence was
> somehow transcended and he was given the sight of the whole universe?
> That's how I explained the mega-psychedelic scenes at the end with
> colors melting vertically or horizontally toward Dave...  to me it was
> his passage into something else...
>
> Simon

Well, his perception at first was that the Monolith itself was full of
stars, but then he entered it.  You're right about his transcendence,
though; pay attention to the whole movie.  There's a reason they start
and end the way they do.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary for man to create him"
--Friedrich Nietzche (sp?).  2001 is all about the ascension of Man to
Godhood through knowledge and science.  Whether or not you believe that
to be true, it's very artistic.  2010 lost all the meaning, and went
with the sci-fi thriller in space theme.

...Chambers