POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A courtyard scene : Re: A courtyard scene Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A courtyard scene
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 26 Jan 2007 05:21:59
Message: <45b9d647@news.povray.org>
"Mike Sobers" <sob### [at] mindspringcom> wrote in message
> Great job!  The lamps and texture on the foreground wall are terrific.
> Only
> two small comments. The texture on the far wall (looks like it's the same
> texture as the foreground) is too uniform at that distance.  It almost
> looks
> like new stucco, so maybe some larger patterned texture would help.

Thanks .... I like the lamps and inside texture as well. I'm not sure what
to do about the outside texture looking so small at that distance. It
shouldn't be too difficult to rescale the outside texture and retain the
inside like it is. If memory serves me I believe I didn't texture the shapes
I used to do the cutouts.

> Also, the roof on the tower is very smooth when outlined against the sky
> (image
> mapped cone?)  If you had a few tree branches coming out from behind just
> teensy bit it would break up the line to make it less noticeable.

yes the shake roof is image_map on a HEX shaped cone. I tried to make it
look less smooth but using the same image_map as a normal_map with large
bump_size but wasn't able to pull it off ..... maybe a slight rotation in
the y-axis might help.
BTW the sky is also image_map .... it's a photograph I took this last fall
in my backyard.

> I think a close up of the lamp in its alcove the way it's currently lit
> would look awesome!

I was thinking of doing a separate render of just that .....

Jim