POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : "minus" clause : Re: "minus" clause Server Time
17 May 2024 06:00:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "minus" clause
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 19 Jan 2007 04:38:22
Message: <45b0918e@news.povray.org>
Andrey K. scripsit::
> Pre Scriptum: Sorry for my english language.
>
> N.B. Abstract article.
>
> I think, may the "minus" clause be useful for "union" and "merge" ?
> Often need make hole, and then allocate in this hole some object. For
> example:
> wall_object, window_hole_object, and window_frame_object (with glasses and
> curtains :) ).
>
> Normal way, to make it:
>
> union{
>   // making wall with hole
>   difference{
>     wall_object
>     window_hole_object
>   }
>   // making holled wall with window
>   window_frame_object
> }
>
> Using "minus" clause:
>
> union{
>   wall_object
>   // making wall with hole
>   MINUS window_hole_object
>   // making holled wall with window
>   window_frame_object
> }
>
> Difference between both cases not very match, but (I think), second case is
> more readable.

This look purely like syntaxing sugar (and it tastes bad too me).
Please draw your CSG tree for both, and explain the difference if any.

I do not see the interest, moreover it is confusing when used on
something like:

union { a
        minus c
      }

would you subtract c from b or (a+b) ?

Also, how would you interpret
union { a minus b minus c d } ?

Too much ambiguity for my taste.

--
Eifersucht ist die Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden
schafft.

Eco: -8.75 Soc: -6.72
http://www.politicalcompass.org/