POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 12 hours later... : Re: 12 hours later... Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:34:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 12 hours later...
From: Alain
Date: 3 Jan 2007 19:35:43
Message: <459c4bdf$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v3 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 03-01-2007 14:03:
>>> Yeah, each light source is a 16x16 area light. Given that the tree
>>> has hundreds of thousands of tiny needles - wait, just read the
>>> render stats! Look at the number of shadow rays, for crying out loud!
>>> o__O
>> Over 4 BILLIONS!
>
> Hell yeah.
>
>>> I did also try this with radiosity - but it makes absolutely no
>>> visible difference. (Well, given how puny the light sources are, the
>>> extra bounces don't contribute much.)
>> As Christmass lights are geting smaller and smaller, actual
>> point_lights should be "good enough", especialy if you have 100's of
>> them.
>
> With point-lights, the walls are covered by giant needle shapes. It
> looks very bizzare and unatural. With area lights, the walls are motled
> with shades of light and dark - go look at a real tree, this effect is
> actually pretty much right on!
>
> Now, if I actually had *hundreds* of lights on the tree, maybe it
> wouldn't matter... but most sets of lights contain 20 or 40 lights, not
> several hundred. ;-)
Just with 12 to 40 the need for area_light will go down, crank that up to 60~80
(3 or 4 sets of 20) and you probably can say area_light good by!

>> Don't forget to set fade_distance to a suitably small value.
>
> Already done. 50 cm. (Fading = quadratic.) This makes a big difference...
>
>> If manual placement is to tedious, why not try some procedural
>> placement, maybe integrated in the building of the branches.
>
> I don't know what algorithm TomTree uses to built the branches.
OK! It's not your own tree. Harder to selectively remove elements.

--
Alain
Fine day to work off excess energy.  Steal something heavy.