POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Futurustic, high-power, spacecraft : Re: Futurustic, high-power, spacecraft Server Time
6 Aug 2024 22:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Futurustic, high-power, spacecraft
From: Jon S  Berndt
Date: 15 Dec 2006 06:50:06
Message: <45828bee$1@news.povray.org>
"Alain" <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote in message
> Jon S. Berndt nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 14-12-2006 22:07:
>> "Tim Attwood" <tim### [at] comcastnet> wrote
>
>> Hey, I kind of like this (I think I've seen something like this in my
>> kitchen, too!)
>
>> A couple of notes:
>
>> 1) There should be no over-expansion of the nozzle, I think. All of the
>> flow would be almost all directed aft.

> The over-expansion is unavoidable. All you can do, is try to minimise it.

>> 2) I'm sure this is a WIP, but thought I'd mention that there would be
>> more to the engine (a lot of equipment creating magnetic fields - coils
>> and stuff, supply lines for fuel, etc.)

> Depending on the scale, that can be all contained within the nozle.

Visually, what I would like to see is probably best illustrated by looking
at a Hall thruster:

http://fluid.ippt.gov.pl/sbarral/hall.html

(see Pratt and Whitney thruster at bottom of this page)
http://www.engin.umich.edu/dept/aero/spacelab/thrusters/thrusters.html

http://www.adastrarocket.com/Plasma.html

There is little, if any, overexpansion of exhaust in these images. The image
by Tek was very good in this respect.

Jon