POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Futurustic, high-power, spacecraft : Re: Futurustic, high-power, spacecraft Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:14:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Futurustic, high-power, spacecraft
From: Jon S  Berndt
Date: 12 Dec 2006 23:33:46
Message: <457f82aa@news.povray.org>
"Kirk Andrews" <kir### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> Have you checked some of the previous rounds of the IRTC?  I remember
> seeing
> some fairly impressive images that might suite you.  By "realistic," do
> you
> mean propulsion systems that are actually possible? or are already being
> researched?  That would be a very different story, but I'm sure someone
> might be up to the challenge if you provided a bit of education.

Hi, Kirk, and Tek, EagleSun, and all:

The cover story for the upcoming issue is written by someone from Ad Astra
Rocket Company in Houston. See http://www.adastrarocket.com/. They are doing
R&D on the VASIMR. They have some info at the web site. Also, there are
these articles:

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/vasimr_rocket_020807-1.html

http://www.nasatech.com/Briefs/Sep01/MSC23041.html

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/V/VASIMR.html

It's a really fascinating concept - really high-powered stuff. In the same
issue, there will also be an article on the Mach Lorenz Thruster, which is a
much more "out there" concept. However, if brought to fruition, it would be
a major, major, breakthrough.  You can read about those here:

http://www.americanantigravity.com/articles/339/1/Machs-Principle-Evolves/Page1.html

http://www.woodwardeffect.org/

As for spacecraft and level of detail, I can say this: I like the plume in
the image created by Tek, but I'd prefer a blue-ish plume, very bright (as
you have it) near the nozzle exit and transitioning to a darker blue farther
out. I suspect that any plume from a VASIMR would extend for quite a ways
(several thousand feet?). The proposed ship is cool, but I think I'm looking
for something different. Think about the space station. It's modular. I'm
thinking that this ship would be comprised of components launched on a very
big booster, in parts. Perhaps it would be made up of six to twelve module,
50 feet long and 20 feet in diameter. Perhaps a few of them would have
several windows. Perhaps the propulsion section would be isolated or
protected from the habitable sections. Perhaps there would be structural
provision for some kind of rotation for artificial gravity after the main
propulsive phase had been completed. I'd *like* to see this kind of detail
(or better !):

http://www.okino.com/nrs/pics/nrs_bab4.jpg

http://www.povplace.com/gallery/SciFi%20-%20Star%20Wars/19.jpg

The above are just some ideas. I know it's a lot to ask, and a lot to
digest. That's why I was asking for something that might already be done,
because I wouldn't feel right asking someone to do this specifically for the
issue, in case it was not used. I'll check the IRTC competition pages. With
that said, if someone does want to give it a try, I'll check back here
daily. Feel free to contact me directly via email, too
(edi### [at] aiaa-houstonorg). If I don't use a particular image, I have been
thinking of an issue that features futuristic spacecraft artwork.

Thanks,

Jon