POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Futurustic, high-power, spacecraft : Re: Futurustic, high-power, spacecraft Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Futurustic, high-power, spacecraft
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 12 Dec 2006 23:25:00
Message: <457f809c$1@news.povray.org>
I'm of the opinion that a large enough power source, such as
a nuclear reactor, could produce enough electric power to fuel a large
ion thuster. If a thrust to power ratio of around 50 mN/kW is assumed, and
a total ship weight of 10 tons then we're looking for a power source of
about 2 gigawatts. This would let a ship accelerate a little over 1G for
extended periods. Such a ship could make a round trip to Alpha Centari A in
about 9 years. If such a vehicle was unmanned then little of the radiation
shielding would be needed, which is what turns a reactor into a big building
with 6ft thick cement walls.