POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Irregular edges - HowTo ? : Re: Irregular edges - HowTo ? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Irregular edges - HowTo ?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 8 Dec 2006 03:02:38
Message: <45791c1e$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> schreef in bericht

> Here is some quick results I got using the mesh displacement capability
> of Poseray
>
> The model was crated in Wings3D and exported as a .obj file
> then imported into UVMapper and mapped with a spherical projection
> then imported into Poseray
> meanwhile I created the crackle texture bitmap in POV with the
> orthagonal camera
> The bitmap was then applied to the mesh in Poseray.
> The mesh had about 33K vertices
> (I did run into limits in Poseray for densities beyond about 50K citing
> memory limits)

Yes this works fairly well in Poseray, although with some limitations
indeed. Displacement mapping is probably the best option.

A very exciting tool at this moment is Silo 2.0, currently in beta version,
which has a powerful displacement painting tool. Drawback is that it is
currently only available to Silo 1.x owners. However, the price is
acceptable for what is offered and the learning curve is smooth. See
http://nevercenter.com/

Otherwise, as said already above, isosurfaces would do the job, but here the
object is a mesh so, I don't know how to go from there.

Thomas