POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Age of Innocence (Cathy's World): version #1 : Re: Age of Innocence (Cathy's World): version #1 Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:36:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Age of Innocence (Cathy's World): version #1
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 30 Nov 2006 04:24:37
Message: <456ea355$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> schreef in bericht

> In New York, of course, the "subway", when it extends to the boroughs,
> becomes the "elevated".  When I ride off of Manhattan into Long Island
> City I can look down onto many flat industrial rooftops  and see,
> literally, fields of marsh grass growing out of the tar and waving in the
> wind.  (The Day of the Triffids was another great take on this theme.)

Ah yes! I can see those roofs... It reminds us, I believe, that we are only
passing things on this planet. Tolerated, insofar as we grew from the vast
geosphere/biosphere. But only tolerated. We are transient beings here and
nothing more.

> For my own part I have be working on some things sourced in the work of
> Vija Celmins, especially her "spider web" messotints.  And so your
> picture, and my train ride through the "Falls" area, brought me to this
> sort of association too:
>

> And you, O my Soul, where you stand, Surrounded, surrounded, in
> measureless oceans of space, Ceaselessly musing, venturing,

> fling, catch somewhere, O my Soul.

Thank you Jim. This is very appropriate and strangely familiar to my
thoughts at the moment of conception of the image too. It was not purely
hazard that I made it around the period of my 60th birthday. Period of
meditation... So, your poem is going to form an integral part with the
image, I'm afraid :-)
Vija Celmins: That's intriguing work she's making! Very subtle. I am very
curious to see one day how this is inspiring you in your own field.

Thomas