POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Age of Innocence (Cathy's World): version #1 : Re: Age of Innocence (Cathy's World): version #1 Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:41:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Age of Innocence (Cathy's World): version #1
From: Jim Charter
Date: 29 Nov 2006 11:58:19
Message: <456dbc2b@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:

> kind of beauty in those derelict scenes. Especially seeing how nature takes
> over again, as if Man had only been a passing storm.

In New York, of course, the "subway", when it extends to the boroughs,
becomes the "elevated".  When I ride off of Manhattan into Long Island
City I can look down onto many flat industrial rooftops  and see,
literally, fields of marsh grass growing out of the tar and waving in
the wind.  (The Day of the Triffids was another great take on this theme.)

For my own part I have be working on some things sourced in the work of
Vija Celmins, especially her "spider web" messotints.  And so your
picture, and my train ride through the "Falls" area, brought me to this
sort of association too:

A NOISELESS, patient spider,

And you, O my Soul, where you stand,
Surrounded, surrounded, in measureless oceans of space,

connect them;

Till the gossamer thread you fling, catch somewhere, O my Soul.