POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Making old - HowTo : Re: Making old - HowTo Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making old - HowTo
From: Alain
Date: 28 Nov 2006 21:30:00
Message: <456cf0a8@news.povray.org>
Meothuru nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 28/11/2006 00:41:
> I started a new scene, which should show a strange, mystic
> and magic little fantasy-temple of a declined fantasy-culture.
> The temple is  in a desert landscape in an outlandish world
> (what else ;-)).
>
> The first drafts version is shown below.
>
> Now I  want to make the temple looking old and weathers.
> But I don't know, how to make. So I want to ask:
>
>  "Does anybody knows some free sources and/or tutorials,
>   how to make this ?"

1 - Use pigment and normal to suggest cracks, worn places and discoloration in
the flat places.
2 - Use hight_fields to remove bits from different elements, mostly near
corners. You can use a pigment pattern to create an hight_field. Difference the
hight_field from the "broken piece.
3 - Real columns are made of several pieces, do the same and randomly shift
some. Individualy add the texture to each piece with some, possibly large,
translation and rotation applied to the texture.

--
Alain
Aibohphobia, n., The fear of palindromes.