POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Age of Innocence (Cathy's World): version #1 : Re: Age of Innocence (Cathy's World): version #2 Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:22:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Age of Innocence (Cathy's World): version #2
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 28 Nov 2006 07:32:20
Message: <456c2c54$1@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> schreef in bericht

>>develop differently in different parts of the world. I
>> was just thinking also about the variation used in subsahara Africa using
>> tin boxes attached to a piece of wood.
>
> Don't know this, is it a running game?
From the little I have seen, looks like both running and just pushing the
tin around, but there may be a deeper meaning behind it. Again, this is not
from personnal experience but from photographs and documentaries where this
appears sometimes.

>> This whole process mimics, as it
>> were, the process of natural evolution, with independent changes
>> following
>> geographic isolation. Very Darwinian :-)
>
> Are you looking to start an argument because I thing it is an Intelligent
> Design issue :-)
Great! No. No argument here. The comparison in any case is wrong because of
the very controversial status of social darwinism. I like to hustle things a
bit sometimes. Not very scientific, I admit, but fun to do nonetheless.

> Seriously is it not more to do with the availability of local recourses?
> Here is a link to children's games from the 20's and 30's most were still
> played in the 50'
>
> http://www.fairlieburne.co.uk/99Appendix.htm

You are right. It has much to do with availability of local recourses.
Nice site! Yes, some of them seem to come back regularly, like  bools in
particular.
Chuckies!!! We called those 'osselets' (small bones) and they resembled
indeed little finger bones, but made of plastic (no good! too light) or
metal (excellent!), four were white, one was red.
Tic Tac: Oh yes!
I think Hurlies and Bogies resemble that example I cited from subsahara
Africa after all.
Beds: Was not really a girls game where I lived, and was played with 8
squares in the series: 1-1-1-2-1-2.

> It is difficult to compare images remotely and I am using a Compaq S720
> monitor at work (it's so so). Fred's 'Sphere on checked plane' looks very
> dark and Skip Talbot's in 'Penguin Paradise' looks just right. Your latest
> images look quite light. But then you have a low sun and my preferences
> are
> probably different from yours.

Ok then. Nothing to worry about. I see them the same way. Yes, mine are
indeed a bit lighter and that's truly a personnal taste.

Thomas