POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Making old - HowTo : Re: Making old - HowTo Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:25:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making old - HowTo
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 28 Nov 2006 04:18:49
Message: <456bfef9$1@news.povray.org>
"Meothuru" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
news:web.456bcbf4a135c26f1a38e1e20@news.povray.org...

> Now I  want to make the temple looking old and weathers.
> But I don't know, how to make. So I want to ask:
>
> "Does anybody knows some free sources and/or tutorials,
>  how to make this ?"

Not sure about tutorials around, but there are a couple of hints I can give.

There are basically two or three ways you might want to go, better still
might want to combine:

1) Textures: playing with gradient-, averaged-, slope patterns, and texture
maps and/or layered textures, in combination with a normal like granite and
crackles, may already give you something interesting. It is a complex matter
which is best to experiment with a while to get the feeling.

2) Old buildings sag. They become asymmetrical. So, play with suble
rotations between the different building blocks of the temple. The whole
structure could also be listing just 1 or 2 degrees. Don't overdo it,
though! Sometimes a half degree is enought to give the impression of
asymmetry. Also, some building elements may be missing or been broken. Look
at photographs of old ruins. They will give you ideas too about textures.

3) Well, this is something else: You might want to chip pieces of stone from
the building blocks, or making cracks. That is possible in CSG, but if you
want to use Wings3D for instance, you can obtain those very easily.

Hope this helps.

Thomas