POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tek's sea revisited : Re: Tek's sea revisited Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:24:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tek's sea revisited
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 22 Nov 2006 10:02:37
Message: <4564668d$1@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> schreef in bericht
> "Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
>
> Oh! We learn by our mistakes and I've learned a lot :-)
> One other thing in the original post of the modified scene you said that
> you
> multiplied by -1 when you actually divided by -1.  I know the results are
> the same (I hope) is there any particular reason?

Ah! According to the documentation (c paragraph 2.3.3.3.9) transformations
on functions are different. So multiplying x by 2 is given as (x/2, y, z).
See the docs for more details. This is a very important paragraph because it
allows you to manipulate the functions as you want. It helped me enormously
in building my Geomorph macro a couple of years ago (see:
http://povray.tirnalong.com/ow.asp?GeoMorph ).

> Actually there were two other things. On my works monitor the image looks
> little washed out, what gamma settings are you using?

I have the same when first viewing the image in WindowsExplorer for
instance. Saving it again in PSP without doing anything generally takes care
of the problem. It come from the new gamma handling in version 3.7. It has
been replaced by display_gamma in the ini, and set at 2.2. If  I read the
docs right, presently 'assumed_gamma = 1' is automatically translated to
'display_gamma = 2.2' but I am not sure about this. Still a thing to
investigate.

Thomas