POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Light Beams in a Dusty Atmosphere : Re: Light Beams in a Dusty Atmosphere Server Time
1 Sep 2024 12:15:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light Beams in a Dusty Atmosphere
From: Alain
Date: 16 Nov 2006 17:16:28
Message: <455ce33c$1@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 16/11/2006 08:43:
> Alain,

> can you give me an example code? I just start to work with media...   :-(

> Thanks,

> Sven

>> More than one way.
>> Acurate but slow: fill the scene with scathering media.
>> Somewhat faster: as above, but the media is contained around the beam by
>> some container.
>> Both use a strong light_source to illuminate the media.
>> Faked but faster: the beam path is materialised by a long conical
>> container filled with emissive media.
>> Here, the actual light is just for show as the media itself is luminous.
>> Using the last 2, you need to increase max_trace_level, particularly if
>> you have multiple beams that may visualy cross each other.

>> --
>> Alain
>> If you are good, you will be assigned all the work. If you are really
>> good, you will get out of it.

Minimal samples for the suggestions.
1-
media{scattering{1 rgb 1}samples 100}//scene whide media using isotropic scattering
light_source{0, rgb 100//very bright so you can easily see the beam
	spot_light radius 2 falloff 3 point_at x rotate -32*y}
//A tight spot light shining to the right and away

2-
union{//link light and media cone so they can be oriented together
cone{0,0, 1000*x,53 pigment{rgbt 1}interior{media{scattering{1 rgb 1}samples 10}}}
light_source{0, rgb 100//very bright so you can easily see the beam
	spot_light radius 2 falloff 3 point_at x}
rotate -32*y}

3-
cone{0,0, 1000*x,53 pigment{rgbt 1}interior{media{emission 50}samples 10}rotate
32*y}
//this won't shed any light, unless you are using radiosity.

--
Alain
No matter how good she looks, some other guy is sick and tired of putting up