POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : artistic water final - IRTC WIP : Re: artistic water final - IRTC WIP - Bigger boat test Server Time
6 Aug 2024 22:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: artistic water final - IRTC WIP - Bigger boat test
From: Tek
Date: 13 Nov 2006 09:42:33
Message: <45588459@news.povray.org>
Alright I've been messing around with a different boat that I built (this
time I actually looked at photos of real boats!). I figured out the problem
with the old one was very inconsistent styling, it had the smoke stacks of a
huge ocean liner, but the scale of the windows was more that of a luxury
yacht, giving the overall effect of a cute kids toy.

Now, the scale of this big one is a bit off, because from this angle a boat
that's to scale would be beyond the crest of the furthest visible waves, or
would be so close it completely filled the screen, so I've used a bit of
"forced perspective" so we still get to see it interacting with some waves.

I couldn't really tell from my preview renders last night, but now this high
quality one's finished I can see that the scale is too obviously wrong, and
also a large scale disaster should have more debris than just one life
ring... annoying!

So, I'm gonna have another bash at it, with some kind of luxury yacht or
something. After all this huge ship only took an hour to model :)
--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com

"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote in message
> Well in light of the recently announced IRTC topic "Complexity" I figure a
> multi-fractal based water effect is fairly on topic (perhaps?). So I've
> adapted this to be a more dramatic image.
>
> Changes: I've moved the ship further away and smashed it's windows,
> there's
> some nice media to fogging and mist from the waves, and some general
> tweaking of the overall colours in the scene.
>
> Also, since it's been requested, I've posted the source in p.b.s-f. Enjoy!
>
> I think it's basically finished!
>
> What do you think?
> --
> Tek