POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chinese Dish with pigment_pattern : Re: Chinese Dish with pigment_pattern Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:55:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chinese Dish with pigment_pattern
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 30 Oct 2006 04:08:13
Message: <4545c0fd$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> schreef in bericht
> Janet wrote:
>> Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
>>
>>>Cool application of this.
>>>
>>>This often is used to get transparency effects too.
>>
>> Thanks Jim. Yes, PoseRay uses it for transparency.
>
> Forgot about that.  For hair I guess?

Yes indeed. Never got around to explore other applications.
Thank you Janet!! Not only a beautiful plate (I love Chinese ware) but also
an interesting other application to pursue!

> I am forever trying to use it in conjunction with normals to get the high
> parts to appear shiny and the crevices matt, but that effect has yet to
> really pan out for me.

Perhaps that thread in povray.newusers: Simulating cracks in surface using
normals (by Toon) on 25-10-2006, will give you the answer? Chris B shows an
interesting possibility...

Thomas