POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : POV-files greyed out : Re: POV-files greyed out Server Time
26 Apr 2024 03:26:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-files greyed out
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 29 Oct 2006 14:50:05
Message: <454505ed$1@news.povray.org>
FurBall wrote:
> OK, here's what I mean:
> I select File/Open and most of the files that I see, are greyed out.
> I select "All Documents" from the Enable-pulldown-menu and all files become
> selectable
> - If I select a .pov-file that was previously NOT greyed out and press
> Enter, the Text Editor-window opens and when I select the Window-menu I see
> the pov-file.
> - If I select a .pov-file that WAS previously greyed out and press Enter,
> nothing happens. No Text Editor-window, no pov-file in the Window-menu, no
> error-message.

Ah, OK, now I understand what you are doing. Indeed, other than three beeps
there currently is no feedback if you force POV-Ray to open a file it cannot
handle. There is only one condition under which this can happen: The file
is, or at least claims to be, no ordinary text file. Are you certain you
have plain text files, and did not accidentally create an Rich Text or
Unicode text file? If I create a new file with TextEdit and select "Western
(Mac Roman)" as encoding when saving the file, it works just fine in POV-Ray.

    Thorsten

PS: It is expected behavior that applications ignore files dropped on them
that they cannot handle (well, POV-Ray beeps). However, I agree that there
should be an error message in case the user forced opening of an unsupported
file type if that file type cannot be handled at all.