POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : indoor lighting (radiosity) : Re: indoor lighting (radiosity) Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:55:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: indoor lighting (radiosity)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 25 Oct 2006 07:00:51
Message: <453f43e3$1@news.povray.org>
Smws wrote:
  > I have to say I like your image a lot,

   Me too! I think JSR managed to get a very good lighting here (apart
from a very nice room and furniture), but some more intensity on the
sunlight will help further.

> I think Jaime manages to get bright daylight without the image blooming and
> losing color definition. My (limited) understanding is that for the lights
> in some images he uses several sources: large area_lights on each
> window/outside door, to simulate the diffuse light from the sky and
> environment, and one brighter light at the sun-position for the actual
> sunshadows. This gives better results than the pure sunlight+radiosity that
> is perhaps closer to reality, IMO. Of course he also gets good fading
> distance and light values from his LightsysIV light simulation system.

   Actually, this images uses another alternative to the "realistic"
sunlight+rad approach: ambient boxes in place of the window glasses,
with coloring dependent on the sky color from skylight.inc. So it's
still sunlight+rad, but helped a bit with these emitting surfaces and a
recursion level of 2. When using two-pass rad, you can put back the real
glass for the final render.

> (If any of this is wrong, sorry, some is just speculation.)

   No, you are right: I really used area lights on the first images...
but it was too slow for my patience.

--
Jaime