POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC entry - almost finished! : Re: IRTC entry - almost finished! Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:34:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC entry - almost finished!
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 Oct 2006 08:20:04
Message: <4534ca74$1@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> Thanks for the comments, everyone!
>
> There seems to be a consensus for making her transparent... this in fact
> was
> my original intention, but there were two problems. Firstly, other bits of
> her become visible, making her more confusing visually and swamping the
> background objects. Secondly, when transparent she exhibits severe media
> artifacts in the form of saturated pixels, which I have been unable to
> remove.
>
> Having thought about it, the main reason people expect ghosts to be
> slightly
> transparent (but only to background objects, not themselves) is just
> because
> that's the cheapest and easiest way to achieve it with movie/TV special
> effects. I can see no way to do it with POV-Ray that doesn't involve
> fairly
> nasty hacks or post-production (illegal for the IRTC). So I shan't lose
> any
> sleep over it! :-)

Ah yes, I remember now the transparency problems you showed us earlier.
Forgot about them.
Interesting idea about ghost transparency, by the way. I don't remember how
Professor Challenger saw the ectoplasms in The Lands of Mists, by Conan
Doyle... who based himself on allegedly *serious* phenomena at the time.

Thomas