POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Down the Drain (wip) : Re: Down the Drain (wip) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Down the Drain (wip)
From: Alain
Date: 14 Oct 2006 10:37:22
Message: <4530f622@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 14/10/2006 03:18:
> "Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
>> Excellent concept, and I love the image!

> Thank you indeed, Bill!

>> A few thoughts:
>> The muddy-seaweed texture on the columns and river bed looks OK from a
>> distance, but decidedly procedural from close up! I think a little more
>> work on this would improve it no end.
>> Not sure about the actual presence of the columns. If you remove the one
>> in
>> the foreground, it may not be obvious what the others are... and the
>> others
>> block the view along the river somewhat...
>> Maybe a jetty or pontoon on the left, with some stray vertical timbers to
>> indicate age? They could get the seaweed treatment instead? Just an idea.

> Yes, the seaweed is a problem I was aware of for the foreground, especially
> as the camera is very close to the ground. It certainly needs more work.
> Best should be to detach it completely from the texture and apply it
> separately...
> The columns seem to interfere with the theme, I understand. I shall try to
> replace them and see what that will result in. he jetty idea was there but I
> didn't complete it. The problem might be the size of the scene. The jetty
> may become to small in relation to the rest. Hmmm. Have to experiment.
> Note that this is more a fjord-sized estuary than a river, and thus also
> much deeper than a conventional river would be. The outlet is invisible
> here, but situated to the right, behind the lighthouse.

>> The wreck and the stranded non-wreck look great, and I think the
>> river-banks
>> look fine.

> The wreck I built in Silo 1.4; the stranded ship is a detailed third-party
> mesh.

>> PS I'm quite looking forward to seeing the other entries for this round.
>> This topic should produce some real variety!

> Yes, me too!

> Thomas

You can reduce the number of columns, just keeping a very few. Now, there will
be 2 things missing: the water and some very old, once submerged, building. Keep
the slanted ones.

--
Alain
If you have one lawyer in town, he goes hungry.