POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Down the Drain (wip) : Re: Down the Drain (wip) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Down the Drain (wip)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 14 Oct 2006 03:18:57
Message: <45308f61$1@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> Excellent concept, and I love the image!

Thank you indeed, Bill!

> A few thoughts:
> The muddy-seaweed texture on the columns and river bed looks OK from a
> distance, but decidedly procedural from close up! I think a little more
> work on this would improve it no end.
> Not sure about the actual presence of the columns. If you remove the one
> in
> the foreground, it may not be obvious what the others are... and the
> others
> block the view along the river somewhat...
> Maybe a jetty or pontoon on the left, with some stray vertical timbers to
> indicate age? They could get the seaweed treatment instead? Just an idea.

Yes, the seaweed is a problem I was aware of for the foreground, especially
as the camera is very close to the ground. It certainly needs more work.
Best should be to detach it completely from the texture and apply it
separately...
The columns seem to interfere with the theme, I understand. I shall try to
replace them and see what that will result in. he jetty idea was there but I
didn't complete it. The problem might be the size of the scene. The jetty
may become to small in relation to the rest. Hmmm. Have to experiment.
Note that this is more a fjord-sized estuary than a river, and thus also
much deeper than a conventional river would be. The outlet is invisible
here, but situated to the right, behind the lighthouse.

> The wreck and the stranded non-wreck look great, and I think the
> river-banks
> look fine.

The wreck I built in Silo 1.4; the stranded ship is a detailed third-party
mesh.

> PS I'm quite looking forward to seeing the other entries for this round.
> This topic should produce some real variety!

Yes, me too!

Thomas