POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : "The 10 hour render" (~130KB) : Re: "The 10 hour render" (~130KB) Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:32:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "The 10 hour render" (~130KB)
From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 12 Oct 2006 16:45:07
Message: <452ea953$1@news.povray.org>
> 	Did you try:
> H*sin (K * pow (pow(abs(x/LX), 2/E) + pow(abs(z/LZ), 2/E), E/2) - y
>
> 	Where:
>  - H is the height of the waves;
>  - K is a constant that defines the wave length;
>  - LX and LZ are the dimensions of your stone block;
>  - E is the same as the "Value_E" coefficient of the superellipsoid
> object.
>
> 		Jerome
>
> PS: I haven't tried it, but I think it should work...

Nice try, but... not, that doesn't work.

(It makes ripples that are diagonal rather than parallel to the axies.
And the ripples decrease in frequency rather than amplitude as they
spread out. And there is no rounding at the corners.)

I am looking into making the function simpler though - but hopefully
without loosing its "organic" quality.