POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : "The 10 hour render" (~130KB) : Re: "The 10 hour render" (~130KB) Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:32:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "The 10 hour render" (~130KB)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 12 Oct 2006 16:21:42
Message: <452ea3d6$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v3 wrote:
> Yes, *this* is the image that took 9 hours and 45 minutes to render. Not
> the other one I posted (which took a long old while, but less than 1 hour).
>
> Why did it take so long? The answer is the water; it's an isosurface. It
> has a max_gradient of 1.07, but the function that describes it is
> extremely complicated and thus takes one hell of a long time to
> evaluate. What *is* this function, exactly?
>
> Well, it's 160 splash functions added together. (!)

Well, as there is no overlapping, no internal bubbles... Why can't you
use a heightfield with a high enough resolution and some "smooth" thrown
in for good measure. I'd think it would look much the same for this
scene. You can use functions for heightfields just as well:

#declare HF_Detail = 100; //Simulates image-resolution of 100x100
   height_field{
     function HF_Detail,HF_Detail{ HF(x,y,z).gray }
     smooth
   }

Regards,
Tim