POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another failed render (~300 KB) : Re: Another failed render (~300 KB) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:25:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another failed render (~300 KB)
From: Tek
Date: 7 Oct 2006 12:31:08
Message: <4527d64c$1@news.povray.org>
"Marc" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote in message
> I don't agree about fade power in water :
> daylight rays have to get twice (down and back up) through water before
> reaching your eye so double the depth quadruple the thickness

I think pov will simulate that implicitly anyway, because the shadow cast by
the water onto stuff underneath tints the daylight falling on the underwater
objects, then when we look at them through the water we get more tinting.
But if we're looking at a flat coloured ambient object the amount of tinting
just depends on it's distance from us.

Also I believe the power can be between 1 & 2 for realistic effects, since
the particles of fog can occlude each other... or something. I remember
figuring all this out once but the pov docs say between 1 & 2 so I'll defer
to their judgement :)

Anyway if you want it to look totally right I suggest scattering media...

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com