POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another failed render (~300 KB) : Re: Another failed render (~300 KB) Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:28:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another failed render (~300 KB)
From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 7 Oct 2006 11:16:23
Message: <4527c4c7$1@news.povray.org>
>> Cube is a placeholder, yes.
>
> Spheres usually make better placeholders when tweaking materials IMO, the
> hard edges of the cube mean you don't see how it interacts with the light at
> all angles, making it very hard to tune effects like specular.

I guess so...

>> OK. I'm currently investigating Christoph's waver macro. Seems to
>> produce big fractal-like waves. (I'd actually like the ripples to
>> radiate from the stone block and follow its shape eventually...)
>
> Well if you want ripples radiating from the block why are you looking at a
> macro for fractal like waves?

Because it works by placing multiple concentric rings of ripples
semi-randomly. Now if I place the centers of those ripples to coincide
with the edges of the block, the ripples will follow its outline. (This,
apparently, is how the Real World(tm) works...)

>> My main problem seems to be getting a decent sky. :-S
>
> Nope I disagree, if you have a realistic water material from this angle it
> would be almost completely transparent, the reflection would only show up on
> the top edge of the ripples (see attached picture).

Mmm, OK. In that case, my water is going to be completely black...

> What's important is the
> fall-off of the reflection, which should be either reflection{.01,1 falloff
> 5} to fake it or reflection{0,1 fresnel} if you have a realistic ior.

Is IOR=1.3 "realistic"?

>> I wouldn't have thought assumed_gamma 1 would have *any* effect...
>> surely that just means that each colour component is raised to the power
>> of 1 before being output?
>
> Yeah that confused the hell out of me when I first encountered it.

Here's a random question: does LCD require gamma correction?

> Anyway I couldn't resist the urge to have a go at a similar scene myself, so
> here's a picture and the source is in p.b.s-f. Most importantly note that
> the reflection on the water is very subtle, without the ripples you'd hardly
> see the water surface at all.

0__0

OMG... you created something 17,826% better than what I had in about 20
seconds!