POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Head test w/Wings3d : Re: Head test w/Wings3d Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:32:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Head test w/Wings3d
From: Chris B
Date: 4 Oct 2006 08:39:19
Message: <4523ab77$1@news.povray.org>
"Smws" <smw### [at] poboxcom> wrote in message
> After a couple of false starts, I have made my first decent head model in
> Wings3d. Now I want to give it a good but simple texture. I have had
> difficulty especially with the eyes. Right now they are modelled as one
> piece, with a "bump" for the iris and lens and a hole for the pupil. I
> think I will have to model a lens, is this what is usually done? I'm not
> looking for photorealism, just sort of real-ish from 20 feet or something
> :)
>
> Will I have to resort to making a uv-map for the different flesh tones? Is
> there a place I can find some to look at? I don't know how to remove
> shadows from an image to get the diffuse pigment from a face.
>
> I'm also at a loss on the "whites" of the eyes. They either look glowing
> or
> plastic when I fiddle with the texture.
>
> Also feedback about the modelling/proportions would be great.
>
> If there's interest I can post the mesh for others to play around with, it
> would be cc-attrib-share-alike.
>
> -Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Your model looks very good to me and I think the proportions are well within
the range of possible variants.
The eyes do look a bit off. The eyeball doesn't seem to be as reflective as
it should be. I think some phong would help a lot.
The pupils are very small, which doesn't correspond well with the face being
mostly in shadow.

If you don't need closeup shots you could try the POV-Ray CSG eyeball at:
http://www.telinco.co.uk/c_bartlett/povperson/head/index.htm
There are settings on the web page for dark brown eyes.

Regards,
Chris B.