POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : RCSODCP : Re: RCSODCP Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:43:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RCSODCP
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 20 Sep 2006 12:33:45
Message: <45116d69$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams wrote:
> Wasn't it Marc who wrote:

>> 45109940@news.povray.org...
>>> In honor of the newly named dwarf planet Eris, I present two different
>>> reflective chaos spheres over a double checkered plane. I don't like the
>>> lighting on the glass one, but I have a lot to learn about photons.
>>>
>>> I think that if it is going to stay as my desktop background, I need to
>>> have the sphere reflecting the icons on my desktop.
>> Nice to get icons reflected maybe you could try a desktop screenshot with a
>> green background that you get transparent in a image editor and map it on a
>> plane behind the camera
>
> I'd never thought of reflecting the icons.
>
> I did one use that method to have faint reflections of my face in the
> shiny objects on the desktop image. So that when I looked at the
> desktop, I could see myself reflected from those objects.

Took a screencap of the desktop with just bright pink as the background,
since some icons have blues and greens that seemed like a good color to
use. GIMP's color to alpha tool, then saved it as a png. Right now that
is mapped onto a cube just in front of the camera with no_image and
no_shadow. It still reflects as solid black though, I havn't messed
around with figuring out why.