POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: Steam Locomotive (still a newbie after all these years) : Re: WIP: Steam Locomotive (still a newbie after all these years) Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:39:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP: Steam Locomotive (still a newbie after all these years)
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 19 Sep 2006 18:44:34
Message: <451072d2$1@news.povray.org>
Randy wrote:
> This image is of a Steam Loco I was working up for doing a small animation
> to amuse my small child and grandchildren (yes, I had another one very late
> in life).

As someone who was once a small child fascinated with trains, I like the
picture. And as another POV newbie, I like seeing other people's
prototype works.

> So far I am putting it together piece by piece, just trying to get a
> pleasing look  from a proportional standpoint. There are lots of details to
> go, but I got to learn a bit about prisms, bezier splines, and am looking
> forward to putting all sorts of neat tubing together on it with sphere
> sweeps and all.

I think the front of the train looks a little skinny, especially right
above the front wheels. One cow or even a penny on the tracks and that
might bring the boiler down into the ties. I like that you put the bolts
on the bracing straps. The more I look at it, the more it looks like a
toy I might have had.

> Please be gentle in your criticisms, many parts are just initially there as
> a simple box or something for the sake of something being there, and not
> just empty space.
>
> I've got to get more of a slightly reflective steel surface texture rather
> than the silver I am using.  Anybody have any suggestions for the rails and
> the wheels?

You could either texture the tracks and wheels with something that would
look like a hammered surface, or reduce the reflection and try upping
the diffusion. One of my favorite metal textures uses very low
reflection, 0.25 or so, .7 diffuse, and just enough ambient to make it
sparkle. Then change the normal block to get get the right surface
texture, either hammered or stressed, and phong highlights to make it
look polished. If you'd like to see it, I can dig through some files to
find it.

I can't wait to see what direction the image takes next.