POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Eavesdropping WIP - radiosity issues : Re: Eavesdropping WIP - radiosity issues Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:41:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eavesdropping WIP - radiosity issues
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Sep 2006 02:55:38
Message: <450a4e6a$1@news.povray.org>
"Christoph Hormann" <chr### [at] gmxde> schreef in bericht

> I don't understand your use of the MegaPOV adaptive error_bound - if you
> use it in the first pass you will loose control over the accuracy of the
> radiosity data taken and stored.  Furthermore using tighter settings in
> the final pass will increase the number of samples taken there (and using
> always_sample off at the same time could lead to low quality).

Thanks Christoph! I had not realised the consequences of the adaptive
error_bound in the first pass. Quite simply I thought it would - at the same
time - speed up calculations and increase accuracy! Well well well... Things
are never as simple as one believes...

> I would try to decrease recursion_limit to 2 and use the saved time to
> improve quality if that does not change the appearance too much.

Yes, the recursion_limit is an issue I have been thinking about. I had
already tried as a test a value of 1 but that was ugly.

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated!

Thomas