POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : What do you think of this guy? : Re: What do you think of this guy? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:16:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do you think of this guy?
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 9 Sep 2006 07:38:55
Message: <4502a7cf$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> Impressive.  The problem with the nose is just the one unsmoothed ridge
> which I would guess can be fixed with a little more effort.

   Yes, but it was also too wide. I corrected both things and some other
details with SharpConstruct (sharp3d.sourceforge.net), a nice tool for
mesh-sculpting. I find it too difficult to model an entire head with it,
but as it imports .obj files, it's useful to retouch objects done with
other apps, like Wings3D in this case.

> the mouth, is outstanding, very sensitively modelled.

   :) I'm sorry, but that's only a lucky effect of the photographic
image_map: the mouth geometry is really ugly. What's really incredible
is how a photo mapped carefully can change the look of the real geometry.

> The eye sockets another tough area are also good, a bit stylized and
> severe, but not out of bounds.  Main problem is the eyeballs and I just
> don't know what to say there exactly.  Keep in mind, I guess, that a
> classical painter learning academic studio methods would have been
> taught to leave the white of the cornea the same color as the flesh.

   That's a very good advice: they where pure white! Thanks...

--
Jaime