POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : *.pov file reading : Re: *.pov file reading Server Time
2 Jun 2024 22:43:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: *.pov file reading
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 6 Sep 2006 19:01:00
Message: <44ff532c$1@news.povray.org>
> francesco@debian:~/tmp$ povray +W320 +H240 +Icolchicine.pov +Omonitor.tga
> povray: /home/francesco/.povray/3.6/povray.conf: 2: the user setting 'none'
> for [File I/O Security] is less restrictive than the system setting
> 'restricted' in '/etc//povray/3.6/povray.conf'.  Using system setting.
> povray: /home/francesco/.povray/3.6/povray.conf: 5: the user setting
> 'allowed' for [Shellout Security] is less restrictive than the system
> 'forbidden' setting in '/etc//povray/3.6/povray.conf'.  Using system
> setting.

	As explicitly said above, you are trying to use settings in your
~/.povray/3.6/povray.conf file that are less restrictive than those set in
the system-wide /etc/povray/3.6/povray.conf file that is created when
installing POV-Ray as root.  However, you cannot override security settings
that the root defines for the non-privileged users...

> povray: /home/francesco/.povray/3.6/povray.conf: user permitted paths are
> ignored.  Using system paths.

	... hence POV-Ray decides to use the "safe" settings.

> Illegal instruction

	This, however, should not happen.  Most likely you are using a POV-Ray
binary compiled for a platform with specific optimizations that are not
available on your own platform.  I guess this is a problem with the Debian
release (I'll check out and file a bug report if necessary).
	Solution: download and install the official POV-Ray for Linux distribution
(alternatively, you may also install the official source distribution).

	- NC