POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Render HD format : Re: Render HD format Server Time
1 Jul 2024 03:34:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render HD format
From: scott
Date: 5 Sep 2006 06:15:48
Message: <44fd4e54$1@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>>
>>   Please read the caveats of that "trick" here:
>>
>> http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#aspectratio
>>

> Good points (except 1, which is poo, because rendering the scene with
> unoriginal/unintended aspect ratio always disturbs it, except with
> case 3 ;)), thou they haven't disturbed me yet (4. seems to be one
> that will). I usually render my scenes several times with multiple
> aspect ratios to get more view, which makes the automation handy.

Hmm these explanations have always seemed to me as giving reasons why the
default behaviour of POV is wrong.

How about having a camera block where you specify the vertical FOV, and the
default horizontal FOV is automatically calculated to give square pixels.
But you can override it if you want.

That way would fix #2 about "panoramic" shots keeping the vertical FOV while
you expand them.  It would also fix #3 because people could still render
non-square if they really wanted.