POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Clouds : Re: Clouds Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:18:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clouds
From: Alain
Date: 25 Aug 2006 19:48:43
Message: <44ef8c5b$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 25/08/2006 06:12:
> "Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote:
>> Nice work, Bill!
> Thanks!
>
>> You are on the right track. Still a bit *cotton*-like I believe, not
>> entirely cloud-like. How is the overlapping container issue behaving?
>> Gilles' macro suffers from that unfortunately.
> Yes, this is an issue since I am following Gilles' recipe almost to the
> letter... and one must also remember to increase max_trace_level!
>
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
>> That's very nice work Bill, but to me, it has a 'painted' look to it at the
>> moment. And if I say painted, I mean in almost professional terms.
> I think that's the low quality media settings talking. I'll try with more
> intervals and samples and see how it compares.
>
> "Joanne Simpson" <cor### [at] onewhiteravencom> wrote:
>> Hi Bill,
>> could you post your media settings? I might have a scene to go with your
>> clouds ;-)
>
> Certainly! Check out Gilles' cloud examples too - I think his look much
> better than mine.
>
> #declare Cloud1 = box {
>   -0.5, 0.5
>   pigment { color Clear }
>   finish { ambient 0 diffuse 0 }
>   hollow
>   interior {
>     media {
>       scattering { 1, 0.0275 extinction 1 }
>       absorption 0.02
>       emission 0.01
>       intervals 3
>       samples 10,100
>       density {
>         density_file df3 "CloudTall.df3"
>         interpolate 1
>         translate -0.5
>         scale <1, -1, 1> } } }
>   scale 150*<4/3, 1, 4/3> }
>
> This is a higher quality version. Set intervals to 1 and comment out samples
> for the version I posted above. If you want the whole scene let me know;
> you'll also need some suitable dxf files. They're about 9MB each, so I
> can't really post them!
>
> Bill

As the default method is method 3, or adaptive, it,s beter to only have 1
interval, it's also faster.
The second value in samples is ignored as well.
Thus, if you want beter quality, you only need to increase samples.
In your case, it's beter and faster to use:
samples 300 without mentioning intervals whitch default to 1.
I've done some testings and samples 100 renders faster than interval 3 samples
10 (only giving you 30 samples).

--
Alain
Bet my floppy's bigger than yours.