POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : City plan of Mohenjo Daro : Re: City plan of Mohenjo Daro Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: City plan of Mohenjo Daro
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 20 Aug 2006 11:53:17
Message: <44e8856d$1@news.povray.org>
High!

Thomas de Groot wrote:

> Yes indeed. It seems however that cities like Mohenjo-Daro or Harappa, were
> fairly well planned. In the newer maps of the excavations, you can see broad
> and strait streets with behind them a maze of smaller streets and alleyways.
> The fact that they used sewers for the houses draining into the main
> collectors in/under the main streets, made this almost of a necessity.
> Fascinating!

This instantly reminds me of the (fairly recent, when compared to these
4000-year-old Indus cities) walled Old Cities of Herat and Kandahar - a
rectangular layout, cut into roughly same-sized quarters (literally!) by
   two straight streets, along which the various bazars are situated,
while those quarters themselves are residential areas, with labyrinthic
narrow streets, partially roofed over. I even own a large-scale Old City
plan of Herat, which also shows the distribution of the various trades
and craftshops along the main bazar streets (as it was 30 years ago,
before all theses wars)... really tempting to model this with PoV-Ray!
But before that, I have to get ready with my Kabul basin heightfield, on
which I work since October 2004, today I finished work hour #434...

See you in Khyberspace (yes, that's what Khyberspace is all about)!

Yadgar

Now playing: Automatic Lover (Dee D. Jackson)