POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Archway macro : Re: Archway macro Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Archway macro
From: Jim Charter
Date: 17 Aug 2006 13:51:17
Message: <44e4ac95$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
Very cool.

On a vaguely related note, I onetime wrote something to produce tiled
"Mosiacs" (or even patio stones) in circular bands. What drove the idea
was to use eval_pigment() to have the mosaic pieces reproduce an
underlying image. I was using fixed sized square tiles.  It involved
calculating the number of tiles necessary at each circumference.  If
there was a "reminder" it was averaged among the grouts between all the
tiles.  But for the innermost rings, the pinched looking grouts did not
seem realistic so I produced angular tiles like in your arches for inner
rings. But I could never decide what a real mosaic would do.  It would
seem unlikely that tiles would be cut at the slight angles necessary on
the outer rings.  I couldn't decide about the inner rings. What I could
never solve, also, was any sort of central "plug" arrangement other than
having a large circular tile.  Wondering if you have ever approached
this problem?