POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : RFC: Wishlist/features : Re: RFC: Wishlist/features Server Time
6 May 2024 20:49:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RFC: Wishlist/features
From: Tim Cook
Date: 17 Aug 2006 11:31:34
Message: <44e48bd6$1@news.povray.org>
Lutz Kretzschmar wrote:
> I'm not sure, but you might be confusing mesh operations. The mesh
> editor support four (or six if you take the checkbox into account)
> Face operations:
>
> * N-Move (stands for Normal-Move)
> This moves a face/faces along the face's normal (the average normal if
> more than one face is selected). If "Keep Faces Together" is checked,
> adjacent faces will stay attached to the face in question. if it is
> unchecked, the faces will detach from the mesh. Unchecking the
> checkbox and having multiple faces selected can lead to a bit weird
> results.
> * N-Scale
> This scales a face towards its center (average of points, the blue
> point). The normal of the face does not change. This mode is not very
> useful for multiple faces (weird results).

> Hope that helps. Is there an operation that you'd like that isn't
> covered?

Hmm, basically I'm looking for an operation that combines both of these
into a single action (also *tries unchecking keep faces together with
n-move and multiple faces selected* ooooh trippy.  if that is
correctable so that each selected face moves independently along its own
normal)  Not sure how overlaps should be handled, but what I want would
produce the same result as a uniform scale on things like a sphere or
cube, but when you try to do that with a more complex object...a good
example of a use for what I'm doing is i.e. taking a Poser figure,
shrinking the whole thing along its normals, then making the inner copy
solid and the outer filled with scattering media for cheaper subsurface
scattering (or expanding the whole thing along its normals and doing the
same to get a 'halo' effect)

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean