POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Simple radiosity scene, with questionable results : Re: Simple radiosity scene, with questionable results Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple radiosity scene, with questionable results
From: Alain
Date: 12 Aug 2006 19:47:44
Message: <44de68a0@news.povray.org>
Kenneth nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 12/08/2006 17:28:
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>
>> You can have realy good lighting using only radiosity, but you get beter result
>> if you use relatively large ambient lights.
>>
>> --
>
> Yes, that has been my experience as well. Making my single ambient 1 light
> just two or three times larger greatly improves the "realistic" look of the
> bounced radiosity.  I think that I might be giving POV a somewhat *extreme
> situation* to deal with, by making my single light sphere so small. In
> "normal" radiosity scenes that I've done, using a sky_sphere
> and several actual light sources, it is MUCH easier to get
> good results.
>
> Ken

Small ambient light mean more chance for ALL samplings from any sampling area to
miss it, resulting in dark patches in areas that should be lighted. If you rely
on a small ambient light, you must use a high count value to increase your
chance that any sampling will actualy hit that small object.

--
Alain
OFFICE ARITHMETIC