POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : 3.7 Linux beta. : Re: 3.7 Linux beta. Server Time
26 Jun 2024 15:17:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.7 Linux beta.
From: Warp
Date: 12 Aug 2006 17:05:27
Message: <44de4297@news.povray.org>
Can someone give a good argument why precisely 2 threads is a good default
for unix povray?

  Personally I would use 4. Usually there's no penalty in using more
threads (well, at least based on my experiments with winpov), so in
single-processor-single-core systems it won't matter, but in dual-core
systems the performance might be slightly better than with just 2 threads.
And since quad systems are becoming very soon, 4 threads will then
automatically use all the 4 cores (perhaps not at *maximum* efficiency,
but very close to it at least). 2 threads would not achieve this.
  Computers with more than 4 CPU cores are so rare that it's not
unreasonable to expect the user to specify more threads by hand if he
happens to be rendering in one.

--
                                                          - Warp