POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : "bighorned dragon" teeth and gums - my start into generating meshes in sdl : Re: "bighorned dragon" teeth and gums - my start into generating meshes in=sdl Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "bighorned dragon" teeth and gums - my start into generating meshes in=sdl
From: Alain
Date: 12 Aug 2006 10:23:09
Message: <44dde44d@news.povray.org>
Cousin Ricky nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 10/08/2006 21:51:
> "Charles C" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> For styling, I wanted the fierce yet mammalian canines and incisors, and big
>> flaring nostrils.
>
> "Fierce yet mammalian"?  I think canines were *invented* by mammals.  Come
> to think of it, differentiated teeth (canines, incisors, molars, etc.)
> seems to be an exclusively mammalian trait.
>
> Those mammalian incisors look mighty fierce to those quivering blades of
> grass, but if your dragon does not graze in the pasture, you might want to
> check out a dog or cat's incisors.
>
> The mammalian molars on your therapsoid dragon are upside-down.  The cusps
> of a molar are its root.  However, if you right them, the dragon will once
> again be a vegetarian.  Unless...
>
> There's a glaring exception to the tooth-design and diet corelation,
> however.  That is people, for whom MEAT is the centerpiece of the meal in
> most cultures.  People, who can hurl fastballs, thanks to arms that evolved
> for throwing spears at MEAT on the hoof.  People, whose unsurpassed manual
> dexterity was selected of their ancestors most adept at sculpting
> MEAT-piercing arrowheads.  People, whose fuel-guzzling brains required
> nutrient-dense MEAT in order to develop the brains required to hunt MEAT
> more effectively.  People, whose brains are so demanding of resources that
> other body parts cannot develop properly.  Like our jaws, for example,
> which aren't big enough to fit all our TEETH.  Those would be our
> vegetarian incisors, vegetarian molars, and canines so pathetic that we
> carnivore wannabes had to use that SUV-class brain to invent knives.  And
> learn how to control fire, to soften up the MEAT so that our carniphobe
> teeth could chew it.
>
> Now is there any animal other that _Homo_ spp. with the ability to cook its
> own food...?  :-D

Yes there are, but very few and most are particular cases, like an isolated
tribe of monkeys with ready access to a reliable heat source. There is at least
one case of non-primate animal that taken on cooking it's food, I think by
boiling it in a natural hot spring. Saw that in a documentary during the early 90's.

--
Alain
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?