POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Speaking of optical illusions... : Re: Speaking of optical illusions... Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speaking of optical illusions...
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Aug 2006 14:48:50
Message: <44dcd112@news.povray.org>
Cousin Ricky wrote:
> Short answer:  Your brain is messing with you.

There's a lovely book published many years ago by Byte magazine called
"The Brains of Men and Machines."  It describes everything from vision,
kinesthetics, planning, emotion, and actuation in terms of computers, an
in particular op-amps and algorithms. For example, your eyes have
already separated what you see into edges and objects before the signal
leaves your eyeballs, and has separated objects from each other and
background and split out the positional information from the visual
information before it gets all the way to your brain. There are "blind"
people who know something is there but doesn't know what it is, because
the "what is it" part got broken while the "where is it part" was
undamaged, for example. The book is both readable and fascinating.

I think I'll put it on my stack to read again. The nice thing is, stuff
like this really doesn't go out of date. Brains don't evolve as fast as
computers.

Ernest Kent
ISBN 0-70-034123-0

--