POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bad coloring skills... : Re: Bad coloring skills... Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad coloring skills...
From: scott
Date: 11 Aug 2006 14:20:46
Message: <44dcca7e$1@news.povray.org>
> Please, can someone advice me in finding the proper setting for
> this image. The content of the glass should be whisky.... But I
> just cant get the color right, or the proper "shine-thru". :/
>
> And, besides, my pictures always have like a dull filter. *boo-hoo*
> Any hints on what one should remember to avoid this?

Looks to me like the boring grey wall is just reflecting in the table making
it look washed out.  Try making the wall a bit more interesting (maybe some
pattern and some other objects like a doorway, window, picture, light
switch, shelf etc etc).  Have you got assumed_gamma set to 1.0 in your file?

As for the liquid, I am no expert (at whisky or POVing liquids) but it seems
you need to make it much more transparent, and adding photons will make it
look more realistic.  Check you have max trace level set high enough for
light to get all the way through the liquid and glass.

After you get that sorted, I would make the lights a bit brighter, at the
moment there isn't really anything getting near maximum brightness, so not
only does it looked washed out (due to lack of blacks) it also looks
underexposed due to lack of whites.

If you merge a torus onto the rim of your glass it will look much better.