POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Simple radiosity scene, with questionable results : Re: Simple radiosity scene, with questionable results Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:13:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple radiosity scene, with questionable results
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 11 Aug 2006 07:16:50
Message: <44dc6722$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:
> Sorry, I may have described things the wrong way.  In my scene, it *seems*
> that there should be MORE color spill onto the ceiling, from the
> saturated-color walls. But then again, the tall (distant) box shape seems
> to show quite good color spill from the red wall.  So perhaps I'm looking
> for an effect that really shouldn't be there. Difficult to tell!

   Then I think you are expecting too much spill, more than normal for
regular surfaces.

> [...] A higher nearest_count DOES radically improve
> things--but from what I've seen, it appears to make shadows less defined,
> sort of smoothing them out. Am I mistaken about that? Is it interacting
> with "something else" that I should change?

   Yes, with every other parameter!!! :) But I usually also raise
error_bound and that compensates the effect.

> I'm still trying to understand this "bounce" idea. But you're right, higher
> recursion_limit values seem to have less and less of an effect. I've
> settled on 3. Is it correct to assume that the more bounces, the more the
> various radiosity-created colors in the scene blend together and become
> MORE muted? If so, it sounds like something to be avoided (?) As you can
> see, I'm really struggling with these concepts!

   The more bounces, more realistic is the radiosity, as in reality
there are infinite bounces. But it's only useful with maze-like
situations. I think you should only use the number of bounces needed
just to light all the visible parts of the scene, no more.

--
Jaime