POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Render HD format : Re: Render HD format Server Time
1 Jul 2024 02:59:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render HD format
From: Bryan Heit
Date: 10 Aug 2006 13:59:41
Message: <44db740d$1@news.povray.org>
cyberspittle wrote:
> Hi ______.
>
> I've mae some animations in 640x480, but want to re-render in HD format. I
> was wondering what custom resolution that is? I searched on the internet
> (Google) but am confused, as there seem to be different resolutions; ie.
> 720p 1080i 1080p. Anyone render to WXGA monitor? I am concerned about
> stretching. Right now, I have a 19" Viewsonic WXGA monitor (cheap, I know,
> but less than $200). It looks fine on the PC, but when I output my display
> on a TV using s-video, it isn't in a wide screen. Is it a resolution
> problem (I am sharing my Win XP desktop)? TIA.

You need to set two things - the image size and aspect ratio.

To set the image size you simply make an entry into your resolution.ini
file for the appropriate size (720p = 1280x72, 1080i/p = 1920x1080).
All HDTV compatible equipment should handle all three formats equally
well, so it's upto you which one you want to use (quality-wise there
isn't much of a difference as the 1080i/p formats have to make some
sacrifices to squeeze all that info into each frame).

But pixels in an HDTV image are not square (aspect ratio of 1), so you
need to tell povray to render non-square pixels.  I'm not sure if there
is a more efficient way of doing this, but I always use the camera
command for this.  You simply add the "right" command to the camera,
with the desired aspect ratio after the "right command.  For HDTV this
is 16:9;

camera {
   location <0,0,0>
   look_at <0,0,1>