POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Simple radiosity scene, with questionable results : Re: Simple radiosity scene, with questionable results Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:25:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple radiosity scene, with questionable results
From: Alain
Date: 8 Aug 2006 09:23:04
Message: <44d89038$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 08/08/2006 04:57:

> assumed_gamma 1.0
>
> brightness 23
Default to 1. It's a multiplicator for the returned radiosity samples. Without
this, your scene would be almost all black.
> pretrace_start .08 // default value
Shifting this "may" help you getting rid of some artefacts near corners like
dark spots along inside corners.
> pretrace_end .01
Lowering this may enable you to use more relaxed settings elswhere, possibly
lending to somewhat shorter render times.
> count 500
The smaller/farther your ambient light, the higher this have to be. A to small
value can result in dark area that should obviously be lighted.
> max_sample 1.0
This puts a cap on the brightness. Not importent in your case as you apparently
don't have any object with a brightness larger than 1. Default is -1 or NO cap.
> low_error_factor .025 // half the default
1/20 the default of 0.5. Will cause a slow down during the last pretrace step.
Can improve quality. Result in somewhat less additional samples to be taken
during the render itself as more are taken during the pretrace.
> recursion_limit 5
Prety large, can lead to fading out/disapearing shadows.
> minimum_reuse .0075 // half the default
This can cause some part to look grainy. Increases the render time.
> nearest_count 12.5 // midpoint between 5 (default) and 20 (max)
Use 12 or 13. This is an integer count of how many samples to average toggether.
> error_bound .9 // half the default
> gray_threshold 0 // default
> always_sample off
Why? Default to "on". Only relevant if you do multi-pass or distributed render.
> media off // default
OK, you don't have emissive media that should illuminate your scene.

> If I've left out any necessary info, let me know and I'll post it.
>
> Ken Walker

You may try lowering brightness to 1 and bump up the pigment or ambient of the
small ambient light sphere. In that case, you should adjust adc_bailout
accordingly: 0.01/(pigment * ambient)
Increasing count will help illuminate area far from the light more uniformly.
With recursion_limit 5, you may have to much interreflections, washing out the
shadows.
Try using recursion_limit 3 or 2, the shadows will probably become more pronounced.

--
Alain
'Hurhurhur, 2400 baud sucks' - V.bis and Baudhead