POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fun with images #1 : Re: Fun with images #1 Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fun with images #1
From: Alain
Date: 25 Jul 2006 22:37:13
Message: <44c6d559$1@news.povray.org>
Anthony D. Baye nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 25/07/2006 17:43:
>     In between working on other projects over the past month, I've been
> doing some experiments with image processing in POV.  My first
> installment is my latest experiment.
>
>     While this is an interesting technique, I have yet to find any way
> to make it practical.  The biggest problem is one of memory: my computer
> has 2Gb of ram, but POV still crashes when parsing this effect at
> dimensions somewhere above 9.21875' by 5.25'.  This is due, no doubt, to
> the rather LARGE number of objects generated by my macro - at this size,
> there are roughly 148,680 individual objects.
>
>     I plan to do some further experimentation to see whether or not I
> can make it more memory efficient, but I'm not holding my breath.
>
>     The first image is a single color demonstration, this method is more
> efficient, memory-wise, but not as impressive as the full-color demo IMHO.
>
> The second image is a full-color shot of the entire image, dimensions:
> 9.21875' X 5.25'.  The third image is a cropped closeup render.
>
> <A href="http://speedy.sdsmt.edu/~1305761/images/LED.jpg">Monochrome LED
> Display.</A>
> <A href="http://speedy.sdsmt.edu/~1305761/images/LED3.jpg">Full Color
> LED Display.</A>
> <A href="http://speedy.sdsmt.edu/~1305761/images/LEDCloseup.jpg">Full
> Color Closeup.</A>
>
> Questions/Comments?
>
> Regards,
>
> ADB
Nice effect.
Suggestions:
1 - Use single elements elements, such as cylinders or stretched spheres, as
much as possible, maybe using normals to fake any desired rounding. Thinking of
a leopard pattern for the normal.
2 - Place all red in an union. Do the same for green and blue. If you use an
image for the pattern, use it with .red, .green and .blue and apply using
image_map to the whole union.
3 - NEVER apply a texture to individual element.

Textures applied to a 10000 objects union are defined ONCE. If you apply the
same texture to 10000 objects, you get 10000 instances of the texture. That
takes a lot more memory.

--
Alain
BE ALERT!!!!  (The world needs more lerts ...)